Side Effects of Pemetrexed
Common Side Effects
Pemetrexed has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. These studies either used pemetrexed alone or in combination with another chemotherapy medication. The following list of percentages came from the studies that used pemetrexed alone, since it is difficult to separate the side effects caused by pemetrexed from those caused by the other chemotherapy medication.
In these studies, the most common side effects of pemetrexed included:
- Fatigue -- in up to 34 percent of people (see Chemotherapy and Fatigue)
- Nausea -- up to 31 percent (see Chemotherapy and Nausea)
- Loss of appetite (anorexia) -- up to 22 percent
- Anemia -- up to 19 percent (see Chemotherapy and Anemia)
- Vomiting -- up to 16 percent
- Mouth or throat sores -- up to 15 percent (see Mouth and Gum Problems During Chemotherapy)
- Rash or peeling skin -- up to 14 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 13 percent (see Chemotherapy-Induced Diarrhea)
- Low white blood cells -- up to 12 percent.
Other common reactions (occurring in 5 to 11 percent of people) included:
- Low neutrophils (an important type of white blood cell)
- Increased liver enzymes (found using a blood test)
- Low blood platelets (see Blood Clotting Problems and Chemotherapy)
- Constipation (see Constipation With Chemotherapy)
- Hair loss (see Alimta and Hair Loss)
- Nerve or sensory problems (see Nerve and Muscle Problems During Chemotherapy).