Mesothelioma Home > Mesothelioma Survival Rate
The mesothelioma survival rate refers to the percentage of people with a certain type and stage of the cancer who survive for a specific period of time after their diagnosis. Most statistics focus on the 5-year survival rate. The overall 5-year relative mesothelioma survival rate for 1998-2002 was approximately 9 percent.
Mesothelioma Survival Rate: An IntroductionThe mesothelioma survival rate indicates the percentage of people with a certain type and stage of mesothelioma who survive the disease for a specific period of time after their diagnosis. In most cases, statistics refer to the 5-year mesothelioma survival rate. The 5-year mesothelioma survival rate is the percentage of people who are alive 5 years after a mesothelioma diagnosis, whether they have few or no signs or symptoms of mesothelioma, are free of disease, or are receiving treatment for mesothelioma.
The mesothelioma survival rate is based on large groups of people, and it cannot be used to predict what will happen to a particular patient. No two patients are exactly alike, and mesothelioma treatment and responses to treatment vary greatly.
Factors Influencing the Mesothelioma Survival RateIn general, the mesothelioma survival rate will depend on:
- The stage of mesothelioma (see Mesothelioma Stages)
- The size of the tumor
- Whether the tumor can be removed completely by surgery
- The amount of fluid in the chest or abdomen
- The patient's age and general health, including lung and heart health
- The type of mesothelioma cancer cells and how they look under a microscope
- Whether the mesothelioma has just been diagnosed or has come back.
Overall Mesothelioma Survival RateSurvival rates can be calculated by different methods for different purposes. The survival rates presented here are based on the relative survival rate. The relative survival rate measures the survival of mesothelioma patients in comparison to the general population to estimate the effect of cancer. The overall 5-year relative mesothelioma survival rate for 1998-2002 was approximately 9 percent.
Below are the relative survival rates for each year following a mesothelioma diagnosis:
- Year 1 mesothelioma survival rate: 39 percent
- Year 2 survival rate: 20 percent
- Year 3 survival rate: 11 percent
- Year 4 survival rate: 10 percent
- Year 5 survival rate: 9 percent.